Yoga gives as much importance as it gives to physical exercises and breathing exercises to Shatkarma, yogic cleansing techniques. Through which one purifies his body and mind. Without regular cleansing of the system one will not gain maximum benefits from the yogic practices, and will not be ready for the higher practices of yoga. When the body is free, the mind also functions properly. There are six cleansing techniques in yoga through which one purifies his body and mind.
Jala neti is one among six cleansing techniques. It is a process of cleaning the nasal passage with warm salt water, and is essential in allowing free breathing as required in many of the practices taught in yoga, as well as in helping to ensure your good health.
The roles of the nose
The nose is the body's organ for ensuring that the air that enters the lungs is of sufficient purity and warmth not to cause harm. The air that we inhale is rarely suitable for entry into the lungs. It is generally too cold, too dirty and too germ- ridden. It is the function of the nose to rectify this situation. Mucus membranes in the deeper regions of nose remove millions of germs that are contained in the air and which could cause the lungs much harm. This mucus membrane also removes small particles of dust and both heats and moistens the air to a level which will not harm the lungs.
Because the normal nose blowing does not remove all impurities. This is one of the reasons that the practice of neti was developed: to ensure the best possible cleaning of the nose. If the nose is blocked, or if the mucus membranes are profusely covered in impurities, then the nose cannot perform its duties effectively. Because the normal nose blowing does not remove all impurities. This is one of the reasons that the practice of neti was developed: to ensure the best possible cleaning of the nose.
Benefits of neti:
- Helps stimulating various nerve endings in the nose which leads to improvement of brain and stimulation of ajna chakra, midbrain psychic Centre.
- Neti is the best method of preventing and eliminating colds.
- Keeps the nasal passages working at optimum efficiency and thereby helps to maintain a healthy body.
- Neti also helps in curing sinusitis, ailments of the eyes, nose and throat, tonsillitis, catarrh, as well as inflammation of the adenoids and mucus membranes.
- It is effective in removing headaches, insomnia and tiredness.
- Relieves migraine, epilepsy, depression, tension, etc.
- It controls thinking and physical activity, introversion and extroversion.